Assured UK Malt (AUKM) is a scheme operated by the Maltsters Association of Great Britain (MAGB). It brings together various aspects of new and existing codes of practice making up a set of standards which are unique in the world of malting. For brewers and distillers purchasing malt bearing the AUKM mark of certification, the scheme offers reassurance about traceability and quality. It takes the risk out of malt procurement at a time when food safety issues are critical.
Furthermore the AUKM scheme is independently audited by Kiwa Agri Foods, who have been accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) as the scheme’s recognised Certification Body.
Companies which use the mark of certification must reach the prescribed standards in the following areas:
- Compliance with MAGB HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) Guide
- Use only assured grain from recognised and externally audited cereals assurance schemes
- Traceability of grain from its sources to bulk storage, and from there to delivered malt
- Have in place effective and well documented quality management systems
- Full compliance with all food safety legislation and due diligence in fulfilling these obligations
All of which means that malt from the scheme can be purchased with total confidence, making everyone’s job much easier and adding value to brewers’ and distillers’ customers.
To view the current technical standards click on the links below.